The online bungalow
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is only intended as a communication source between friends, and strangers will be deleted

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Current Reading

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
coveredINbees

coveredINbees

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2007-09-30

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeSun 14 Oct 2007, 4:07 pm

What book are you reading right now or recently finished?

I just finished Deadeye Dick by Kurt Vonnegut.

It's about a boy, Rudy Waltz, who's got a messed up dad and a empty headed mother and a brother with a lovely voice. At the age of twelve, Rudy's father gives him the key to the 'gun room' where they keep their gun collection. In a fit of pride, Rudy takes out a gun and shoots it over the town. Accidentally, his bullet lodges itself in the head of a pregnant woman who was vacuuming. The book is a black humour satire that follows how this event ruins his life.
Back to top Go down
tw334n4rchy
tw334n4rchy

Number of posts : 1044
Registration date : 2007-09-02

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeSun 14 Oct 2007, 4:43 pm

I'm reading What the Dickens by Greogory Meguire.

It's about a rougue toothfairy...yea thats pretty much it. I'm a bit dissapointed in this one. Usually Meguire's books aren't this short, then again this is a childrens book (sorta) he usually writes for adults.
Back to top Go down
coveredINbees

coveredINbees

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeSun 14 Oct 2007, 5:33 pm

Is it only disappointing because it's short or because it sucked?
Back to top Go down
~*Mikan*~
Admin
Admin
~*Mikan*~

Number of posts : 1151

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeSun 14 Oct 2007, 7:46 pm

I am currently reading Size 12 is not fat by Meg Cabot.

This book is about a pop-idol leaving behind her idol life because she gained a couple of dress size, lost a bf, recording contract and life savings. She is now an assistant dorm director. Though something went wrong when there was a dead body of a female student at the bottom of an elevator shaft... then more students turn up dead...
(basically summary from the back of the book since I just started reading).
Back to top Go down
https://online-bungalow.forumactif.com
tw334n4rchy
tw334n4rchy

Number of posts : 1044

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeMon 15 Oct 2007, 7:20 pm

coveredINbees wrote:
Is it only disappointing because it's short or because it sucked?

cuz its short, i finished it today and the ending was a bit sweet tho cliche, and not as good as his usual work
Back to top Go down
coveredINbees

coveredINbees

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeWed 17 Oct 2007, 3:45 pm

I'm re-reading Stone Rose, which Thao saw in English. It's a Doctor Who book wherein Mickey discovers a 2,000 year old Roman statue of Rose in a museum and shows it to the Doctor and Rose who go off to Rome because clearly, they're supposed to. It's quite enjoyable though its placement in the series is a bit iffy. Because Mickey's still there it much be pre-Rise of the Cybermen/Age of Steel but the interaction between the Doctor and Rose put me in mind of post-Idiot's Lantern. But that's just me.

The Doctor has Winnie the Pooh bedsheets.

Edit: Because I can't double post...I'm now reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's about all the gods of old brought over from the minds of immigrants to America. The gods are living in poverty and crime because the lack of belief. Meanwhile, the modern gods (Television, Media, Networking, etc.) feel it's time for them to disappear entirely. It's flippin' awesome and made of win so far.
Back to top Go down
Leeeesah
Leeeesah

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-09-03

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeMon 05 Nov 2007, 8:31 pm

Im reading Sabriel :D [garth nix]

Ishh really good. Necromancerrrrrrrr love.
Back to top Go down
coveredINbees

coveredINbees

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeTue 06 Nov 2007, 8:31 pm

I read that before!! It was brilliant...except I remember almost nothing now. I read it...uh...last year? Was it only last year? Whatever year I went to France, I read that. I think it was last year.

Anyway...I remember it being fantastic, so yes.

I'm reading Frankenstein, so no surprise there. Haven't got very far in, hasn't been incredibly interesting.
Back to top Go down
ChiisaiKamo
Admin
Admin
ChiisaiKamo

Number of posts : 1281

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeFri 09 Nov 2007, 12:33 am

I actually thought Frankenstein was okay, it would've been better if we didn't havta take stupid annotations on every single freaken book for English. That's the only thing that turned me off though. Hmm...maybe I should try to start reading Dracula again...? Current Reading 270145

I finished Lili (historical fiction book about the Tianenman Square massacre) and Stay With Me (fictional book about a girl who deals with death and the suicide of her half-sister) a little while ago (just forgot to mention it here Current Reading 72133 ) and now I'm reading The Tokaido Road (secret daughter of a lord escapes and travels to find justice for her dead dad) and Twilight (this girl likes this guy who's a vampire or something like that; I'm only on page 22~!) in addition to Frankenstein.
Back to top Go down
coveredINbees

coveredINbees

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeSat 10 Nov 2007, 11:05 am

I noticed the outbreak of Twilight again...I remember seeing a lot of it last year, and I'm seeing a lot of it again. At least three different people reading it.

Yeah, Frankenstein is kind of getting to be a bit more interesting, but I'm at the part where he's sort of dithering around glaciers after the deaths of William and Justine and it just..drags on. Nothing is happening besides "Oh woe is me! I've created a monster! Oh noes!!" And..there's no action at all.

I'm currently not reading anything. I am writting stuff though, so there's a change.
Back to top Go down
ChiisaiKamo
Admin
Admin
ChiisaiKamo

Number of posts : 1281

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeSun 11 Nov 2007, 1:43 pm

Yeah, but I still didn't continue reading it yet Current Reading 72133

Frankenstein: I'm at the part where the monster tells his story about what happened since Frankenstein abandoned him 2 years ago.

edit 11/15/07: Can't double-post, so I'm just gonna...yeah. Currently reading New Moon, which is the sequel to Twilight (awesome book btw~!!). New Moon isn't quite as good as Twilight because vampires trump werewolves in my opinion, but I'm at the climax part. Current Reading 270145

edit 11/20/07: started and finished Eclipse already..and all i can say now is...I WANT THE NEXT BOOK TO COME OUT!!!! Current Reading 35187
Back to top Go down
coveredINbees

coveredINbees

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitimeSat 16 Feb 2008, 10:13 am

I finished The Art of Destruction the day before yesterday. Yes, it was that Doctor Who book and yes, it ended and proceeded just as fantastically as it was when you saw me actively gushing over it.

Stephen Cole is hands down my favorite Doctor Who Book-Writer. The only issue I have with him is that he is blatantly in love with Moffat's scripts. Moffat=BAD. He's also a devote follower of the Doctor and Rose are in a platonic relationship. Which isn't a bad thing, but it isn't a good thing when he cuts back on reunion hugs. :C But we still got Rose-Is-In-Danger Tunnel Vision from the Doctor and that's always nice.

So yes, basically, the Doctor and Rose set the TARDIS on shuffle and land in a random location..which is actually 22nd Century Africa. The continent is screwed over by global warming and fighting, to such an extent that there's been an experiemental farm set underground to try and grow the perfect mushroom. Unfortunately for them, it is also the location of an alien vault for fine art. Their planet was conquered by giant-space worms who are out to destroy every single trace of the species remaining, including their art...which is in 22nd Century Africa.

...not London! AMAZING.

With Doctor Who books, the stories are allowed to be as huge as the author's imagination, without having to worry about budget issues. It's nice.

The only problem I have with the book..is that it was too much like Cole's other book. Waaay too much like his other book. That made it less fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Current Reading Empty
PostSubject: Re: Current Reading   Current Reading Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Current Reading
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The online bungalow :: Entertainment :: Entertainment :: Books-
Jump to: